zondag 26 juni 2022

Erin Plunkett

en fortsat Stræben.
A letter to Erin Plunkett.


I am an unconditional fan of Kierkegaard.
And yet I do not read his books, at least not from start to finish.
As soon as I experience an author as a companion, I prefer to savor his texts.
I wait patiently for a fragment which is blown to me like a fluff by a summer breeze.

"Even if a person has achieved the highest, the repetition by which he must indeed fill out his existence, if he is not to go backward (or become a fantastical being), will be again a continued striving."
Delivered to me by Erin Plunkett.

Upon inquiry it turned out to be a fragment from Concluding Unscientific Postscript  (Hong & Hong, 1992, p 121: VII 100)
I also always get intrigued by the courier on duty.

Erin Plunkett 's current research considers the ontology of possibility in Kierkegaard.
An immanent doubt overwhelms me as soon as I read it.
Ontology?
Can I have missed something in Kierkegaard? Yes, I can.
Can I reread Kierkegaard? Yes I can.
Can I study Kierkegaard again? Yes, I can.
So I did.
I checked  Sören Kierkegaards Skrifter.
That's an amazing danish site with all the texts from Kierkegaard.
A man would start to learn Danish for lesser reasons.
There is a search engine.
"Skriv tekst her" (write text here) and push "søg" (search).
Nope, Kierkegaard didn't mention "ontologi" (Only three times in "Kommentarer").

"Concluding Unscientific Postscript" is a thick book.
But not thick enough.
The book was recently translated in Dutch.
Apparently there was not enough room to print the full title.
There is only "postscript" (naschrift) on the spine of the book.



I guess (it's always nothing more than a guess) the publisher feared the "unscientific" might scare the possible reader.
Can he publish it again with the full title? Yes, he can.
Can you skip the ontology? Yes, you can!

Postscript.
Maybe you like this one:
Although this little book (which is called "discourses," not "sermons," because its author does not have authority to preach, "upbuilding discourses," not discourses for upbuilding, because the speaker by no means claims to be a teacher) wishes to be only what it is, a superfluity, and desires only to remain in hiding, just as it came into existence in concealment, I nevertheless have not bidden it farewell without an almost fantastic hope. Inasmuch as in being published it is in a figurative sense starting a journey, I let my eyes follow it for a little while. I saw how it wended its way down solitary paths or walked solitary on public roads. After a few little mistakes, through being deceived by a fleeting resemblance, it finally met that single individual whom I with joy and gratitude call my reader, that single individual it is seeking, to whom, so to speak, it stretches out its arms, that single individual who is favorably enough disposed to allow himself to be found, favorably enough disposed to receive it, whether at the time of the encounter it finds him cheerful and confident or "weary and pensive."—On the other hand, inasmuch as in being published it actually remains quiet without moving from the spot, I let my eyes rest on it for a little while. It stood there like a humble little flower under the cover of the great forest, sought neither for its splendor nor its fragrance nor its food value. But I also saw, or thought I saw, how the bird I call my reader suddenly noticed it, flew down to it, picked it, and took it home, and when I had seen this, I saw no more (p. 5).
http://sorenkierkegaard.org/eighteen-upbuilding-discourses.html

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten